Introducing the PocketWizard Plus III

PocketWizard Plus IIIWe’re pleased to announced the launch of the PocketWizard Plus III radio triggers, and a new microsite to help you explore all of the new features.

Quick details:
The PocketWizard Plus III Transceiver is the most reliable, feature-packed, easy-to-use solution for remote flash and camera triggering available. The Plus III Transceiver features an impressive 32 channels. Whether you’re a wedding or sports shooter or working in a busy studio, finding a clear channel is never a problem. Selective Quad-Zone Triggering, a feature once reserved for elite photographers, adds four zones enabling photographers to remotely trigger flash and or cameras in groups or individually. For photographers being asked to do more for less, this added flexibility is a huge competitive advantage.

Whether new to remote triggering of camera’s and flashes or a top professional pushing gear to the limits, the Plus III’s reliability, simplicity and performance make it the perfect tool for the job. The Plus III is the new standard of excellence.

Below you’ll find a great video with Mark Wallace taking you through all the important features of the Plus III in just under seven minutes. You can also see the video on Vimeo.

See a video by Joe McNally and a BTS with Gregor Halenda over at PlusIII.PocketWizard.com.

You can also learn more details at the Plus III Quick Guide online.

Visit PlusIII.PocketWizard.com for more information. Sign up for our shipment release list to be notified when our dealers start receiving Plus IIIs.

Bookmark and Share

27 Responses to “Introducing the PocketWizard Plus III”

1. […] heeft net de PocketWizard III aangekondigd. Is een update van de PWII en Multimax. (Geen TTL). http://blog.pocketwizard.com/?p=3770 __________________ Discussiemanager een non-conformist op een non-conformistische wijze *** […]

2. dcormier says:

This is really cool. What does this mean for the MultiMax, though? It seems that most, if not all the functionality from that model has been incorporated here.

• Ron Egatz says:

The Plus III’s 32 channels and Quad Zone Triggering do put it in a class near the PocketWizard MultiMAX. However, there are many features the keep the MultiMAX in a class of its own. Among them, rear-curtain Sync, Precision Delay times, Intervalometer for time lapse shooting, Multi-Pop, Time Lag Equalizer, Speed Cycler, Signal Strength Indicator, RF Noise sniffer AND Custom IDs. The MultiMAX will continue to be the radio of choice for serious sports shooters. And might even become a new favorite for wedding/event photographers who can use the Plus III on remote and the MultiMAX on their camera.

3. JayM says:

The III’s look great and a very interesting alternative to the cheaper triggers out there. Curious about one design aspect, though. Per Rob Galbraith’s overview re: sideways orientation…

“[sideways orientation in hotshoe] was a deliberate design change meant to reduce the profile of the unit from the photographer’s viewpoint, so that the view forward would be less obstructed.”

Makes sense. But what about when camera is in landscape position? Controls would then face the floor. Can the iii be inserted in either direction to account for this?

• Ron Egatz says:

Certainly an interesting thought–one which the engineers may be looking into. Until then, I would recommend positioning the camera on a tripod so the handgrip is down. That would face the Plus III with its face up.

• Zebulon Ellis says:

I have found no advantage to the radio facing sideways. A design flaw in my opinion. Yes it does face the floor in portrait mode (not landscape) which I find completely retarded. I was told by PocketWizard to just flip my camera so it faces up. Just as retarded in most cases.

Did anyone ever have a complaint about the backward facing controls like the rest of the camera? I think they face the photographer for a reason. So we can see them!

• Ron Egatz says:

The Plus III is side-facing precisely because of years of photographer comments and suggestions. It’s easier to see around when shooting. Easier to set while shooting with your eye at the finder. No chance of changing settings with your forehead. Better cable placement for a camera mounted radio. Lowering the antenna and protecting it in the body was also an important development. We didn’t make everybody happy, but most users have reported liking it as they start using it.

4. SalukiJim says:

Is this TTL capable?

• Ron Egatz says:

The Plus III is the next in the line of Standard PocketWizards and the replacement of the Plus II. It transmits and receives the simpler PocketWizard digitally encoded radio signal; not the more complex ControlTL signaling used by the MiniTT1 and FlexTT5. So, no, it isn’t TTL-capable.

5. Marc Feldesman says:

Am a complete newbie to off camera flash. Have flex5 and mini ttl. Plus III compatible as transmitter?

• Ron Egatz says:

The Plus III can receive standard trigger signals transmitted by the MiniTT1 and FlexTT5, However, it cannot receive and use the more complex ControlTL signals used by the MiniTT1 and FlexTT5.

6. Charles says:

Will the PW Plus III fit into the existing G-Wiz 2 or Trunks cases. or is a new accessory pouch forthcoming?

7. Joe says:

Is there a way to control flash output on a speedlight through the transeiver? i.e. not having to manually adjust flashput on the speedlight unit itself?

• Ron Egatz says:

The PocketWizard Plus III is the latest model in PocketWizard’s Standard or “Manual” triggering system. The PocketWizard ControlTL system, featuring the MiniTT1, FlexTT5 and ControlTL system enable Speed light control as well as control of select studio flashes.

8. Fran says:

Is it compatible with Nikon and Canon?

9. Hans-Petter says:

Hello

I’m using the MiniTT1 with a couple of FlexTT5. I’m also using the AC3 ZoneController.

My question is:
    Can I assign Plus III zone A to AC3 zone A (up to zone C) and then trigger the appropriate zone with my MiniTT1 and AC3?
    And using the setup above… will the TTL triggering work with my FlexTT5?

Example:
    I use two FlexTT5 on two speedlights (one i zone A and one in zone B) and one strobe with Plus III on zone C.

Can I trigger this scenario with the MiniTT1 and AC3?
    Can I trigger only the strobe on zone C?

Thanks in advance

• Ron Egatz says:

The Mini and Flex in transmit mode, both transmit a ControlTL and Standard signal with each shutter release.
      The ControlTL channel can be anything from 1-20 which should match Mini and Flex.
      The Standard channel (in the Mini) needs to be 17 or higher to use zones.
      In your example, set the ControlTL channels: C1 = 7, C = 11(I made that up. I usually use these numbers).
      Set the Mini Standard channel to C1 = 19, C2 = 22 (not often used channels that have zones)
      Set the Plus III to channel 19 C
      Set the Flex radios to C1 (7)
      Set the Mini to C1 (CTL 7, STD 19)
      One Flex to A and one flex to B.
      Then you can control A, B with the AC3 dials and switch the Plus III on and off using the C switch on the AC3.

10. Joel Santos says:

I bought 01 Plus III and two FlexTT5 Speedlights, I use the plus III in camera to send signal to the TT5 Speedylite Flash Canon 580 Ex Ii and I can not, they are compatible naum?? thank you

11. Chris says:

I was reading about these on another site and it listed compatible cameras for remote shooting. On that list, however, there wasn’t any mention of the Canon 7D. I would have to assume that it would work fine, but I would rather ask first than find out later..

• Ron Egatz says:

Compatibility is not too much of an issue with the Plus III. It is a simple manual triggering device that works with any camera that has either a standard hot shoe or PC synch outlet.

12. Gustavo says:

Reading up on all this awesomeness out there…

Can I use a MultiMax to fire the flex system or a hybrid system (flex on speedlites and Power MC2 on Einsteins) and have rear RC sync or do I need multiple multimax units? Using canon EOS systems.

• Ron Egatz says:

Thanks! We’ve contacted Tech Support on your behalf, and they will be in touch with you directly.